Saturday, April 3, 2010

Saturday Round-Up

I didn't get around to updating quite as much as I would have liked this week, so here's a whole mess of Thirty-Second Week of Pregnancy stuff:
  • I've gained 2.5 pounds in the last two weeks, which means pre-dawn feedings are working. Hurrah.
  • Pokey's gained 2.5 cm, approximately, according to the midwife. I will have an ultrasound in two weeks to allay any worries about her being 'too small' or having low amniotic fluid levels. I'm really not worried about it. I was born at 6 lbs 15 oz; my sister was 6 lbs 8 oz; and DH was 7 lbs. Small babies. Plus, I'm 5'2"; I don't think I'm supposed to carry a baby much bigger than I am.
  • The back pain and rib pain have abated, but I become winded very easily. I get winded sitting down. The upward expansion of my uterus is definitely impacting my lung capacity. It's a good thing the zoo we went to on my birthday had benches every twenty feet or so; I'm certain I sat on them all.
  • I really, really liked the doula I interviewed a week ago. I had the oddest moment of deja vu when I opened my door to her--she's precisely my height with my hair and my glasses. It was like opening the door to myself. I took that as a good sign. She is bright, energetic, and positive; but most importantly, experienced and knowledgeable. It felt like a good fit. I can't wait until both DH and I have our first appointment with her.
  • I've been reading a lot. My sister gave me Baby 411 for Christmas, and I've finally cracked the spine. Also spent time with: Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin; Baby Magic for Your Magic Baby, by Jill Diana Chasse; The Birth Partner, by Penny Simkin; and The Happiest Baby on the Block, by Harvey Karp, MD. The plan is to get Baby Bargains sometime this week--I've had several mommy friends recommend it as 'required reading.'
  • I interviewed a pediatrician I like. She's older, perhaps a little more traditional, but approaches the parent-doctor relationship like a teacher and a guide rather than the fount of all knowledge, so I felt really comfortable chatting with her. My midwife likes her, too. So I think we've found a keeper.
  • I bought my first nursing bra, with two more on order. Thank you, Medela. They're not pretty, but they are comfortable. So nice to have a bra that fits, doesn't hurt, or make me want to walk around with my fingers shoved beneath the underwires all day. Because that's really, really not an attractive look.
  • The diaper changing area in my bathroom is coming together. I've bought several new baskets wicker baskets to put in an upright chrome stand-alone shelf we had in our beach house but held onto; and I've been slowly accumulating the necessary toiletries and first-aid necessities to fill them up. Now all we need is a changing table and we'll be all set.
  • My sister's adorable invitation to my baby shower arrived this week. Best part about them: NO PINK. :) Thanks, kiddo!
Here's what I'm reading/listening to this morning:
And that's about all thus far. It's supposed to be in the upper 70s-low 80s today, and I have flower-shopping and potting to attend to. Most of my day will be spent in a bikini and sarong, toddling around the back yard pulling weeds and making things pretty. Not a terrible way to pass an early April Saturday in Florida, I'd say. The beaches will be overrun with tourists, Spring Breakers and locals alike. I'd rather stay closer to home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you've got things worked out! Good luck with the weeds.

    ReplyDelete