Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Aunt Sandy's German Pancake Recipe
This is an impressive-looking dish, let me tell you, particularly when it is fresh out of the oven and the sides are at the height of their golden puffy peak-i-ness!
*1/2 c. unsifted flour
*1/2 c. evaporated milk or heavy cream
*1/4 tsp. salt
*4 XL eggs
*4 Tbs. butter (3 would be fine, I think, if you prefer)
*Enough confectioners sugar to sprinkle atop the finished product.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Oven rack should be slightly below center.
2. Melt butter in a 10 inch, ovenproof skillet or pie plate.
3. Combine flour, milk, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, whipping well.
5. Pour batter into melted butter: DO NOT STIR.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until puffy and brown (my oven usually calls for 13 minutes).
7. Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar. Serve with favorite fruit, preserves, or syrup.